Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Introduction

Good Evening/Morning/Day/Night or whatever it may be in your particular corner of this planet! I hope that you and yours are well, and that you are here of your own free will...you are right? Blink twice if you aren't, and we will send some Space Wolves to "liberate" you. Do not fret Magnus, we got you covered!

But in all seriousness, my name is David, and I've been asked to join this blog by a couple of different people for a variety of reasons, one of which is I am completely without humour, and this blog was far too amusing and needed a bit of toning down to fit in with the grim nature of the Horus Heresy.

I started playing 40k upon release of Necrons in 2nd Edition, where there were warriors, scarabs, and the flying deckchair, the rules were in White Dwarf, and there was even a free warrior attached to every magazine! The imagery drew me in, and Corublo and Michael C drew me in deeper by exposing me to the eternal war between chaos and the imperium.

The IV legion with its epic betrayal of the imperium for some well considered and deliberate reasons resonated with me, and I started a IW 3rd ed army. With 4 HS choices, the word "BEARD" got thrown around a lot, but at that stage of my life I was most definitely a WAAC type player, so I strove to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women. I didn't see many women, but I assume that they were lamenting, somewhere...possibly about body odor but I can not be sure.

However, I returned to the Necrons with their codex, and I love me some robots with souls. Especially the faustian bargain that led to their victory over the old ones, but loss to the C'Tan.

Years pass, and I miss 4th and 5th edition mostly, and find upon my return I am more of a fluff player. But now there are big, virtually indestructible tau suits that are destroying a squad of necrons for like half the points,  and then the eldar codex led me to hang up 40k for the indeterminate future.

Michael and Corublo put the hard word on me for 30k, threatening life, limb, and hearth if I did not at least watch a game, and so I did, both between themselves and at a small local tournament, and like glen 20 in a post kebab toilet, it was a breath of fresh air, almost a return to the heady days of 2nd/3rd ed.

Points for painting/modelling, fluff, game points, sportsmanship? HELL YES. Although the IW are not renowned for ornamentation. I'm even taking detail off to meet the more spartan style of 30k IW, as I consider them to be similar in style and substance to early roman empire legionaries, extremely functional,  but really bad at parades and looking good.

So now I have a somewhat ambitious army in the works, as well as thinking of the actual logistics behind something like the great crusade would actually take. Expect a treatise on SPOE (Space Point of Entry) and how I think the Iron Warriors would achieve their goals.

I currently have around 900 points painted, and roughly 1500 awaiting assembly. Pics will be posted once a decent camera is acquired, however I will be focusing on painting up a super secret mega death list of doom of exactly 1000 points for an invitational in September, of which I am about 1/3 of the way done.

I hope I have not bored you, as I ramble on, because if so, then you have earned my enmity, and I challenge you to swords at dawn. I know pistols are more traditional, but they are loud and the neighbours DO NOT want to hear that at dawn.

1 comment:

  1. Flying deck chair FTW!!

    Can't wait to play some games, siege list vs siege list should be awesome!

    ReplyDelete